We know you have a lot of questions about getting ready for your new school. Rest assured: we’ll make sure your entrance into the Menlo community is as smooth as possible and that you’ll get all the information you need.
Here are some things you’ll need to know and do as we head into the summer.
1. Sign up for classes and activities, and be on the lookout for your class schedule.
- Take a look through the tables at the Welcome Fair and sign up for activities and sports teams. Didn’t have a chance to sign up? Contact Freshman Class Dean Cindy Lapolla.
- Results from your Math and World Language placement test are sent in early summer.
- You don’t have to take an extra course, but if you want to, fill out your Freshman Electives Form by May 17. Learn more about courses and placement.
- Look for your class schedule in the mail in July.
2. Get your list of required summer reading and learn how to order books.
Over the summer, freshmen will need to read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak for English and Evolution, Me and Other Freaks of Nature by Robin Brande for History. The entire school, including freshmen, will also read Wonder by R.J. Palacio.
Summer books will be available for purchase starting June 1 at MBSDirect.net for paper books. You are, of course, free to
purchase the same book from other booksellers or a Kindle or iBook version.
Fall course book lists can be found now at booklist.menloschool.org.
If you're thinking about getting your iPad, a laptop or any other gadget, get some advice and learn about technology at Menlo.
3. Make sure you’ve got your immunizations and your health information is submitted.
In late May, you’ll get an email from Magnus Health Student
Medical Record, our partner in collecting and managing student medical
information. Fill out their online form with all your medical information,
including immunizations (do not send records to Menlo!). Be sure to do this before August 1—you can’t come to school without it!
Before then, get your immunizations (including Tdap boosters) up to date.
Athletes! If you want to play sports, you’ll need a physician’s physical and physician-signed physical report (you’ll get this from Magnus). But don’t get your physical until AFTER June 2! Once done, you can submit the report through Magnus.
4. Learn about summer sports camps/clinics and fall sports start dates.
5. Be on the lookout for important summer emails.
In early August, you’ll get a letter and an email with all the information you’ll need for the start of school. Be sure to read this email!
To make sure Menlo emails don’t end up in your spam folder, add firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to your list of contacts and/or approved senders.
6. Put some important dates on your calendar.
Tuesday, Aug. 20: Welcome to Than Healy Event, 4:00-6:00 pm, Upper School Quad
- Tuesday, Aug. 20: Freshman Parent and Student Gathering, 6:00-6:30 pm
- Wednesday, Aug. 21: Freshman Orientation for students, 8:30 am-2:30 pm
Thursday, Aug. 22: First day of classes, 8:00 am-3:00 pm
- Tuesday, Sept. 3: Ninth Grade Parent Evening, time TBD
- Thursday, Sept. 19: BBQ & Back to School Night, time TBD
Find next year’s school holidays or look at the online calendar to see what's going on now.
7. Need help?