Music@Menlo is an internationally acclaimed chamber music festival and institute in the San Francisco Bay Area. Founded by David Finckel and Wu Han, Music@Menlo features unique immersive programming, a roster of world-class artists, and a Chamber Music Institute for emerging and pre-professional musicians. Intimate performance venues and signature offerings such as AudioNotes CDs, Cafe Conversations, and the Encounters lecture series offer a range wide of opportunities for aficionados and newcomers of all ages to connect with chamber music in new and innovative ways.
Inaugurated in 2003, Music@Menlo's three-week long festival takes place annually in July and August and features world-class concerts, lectures, a training program for aspiring professional musicians, young performers concerts, open-to-the-public master classes, and a day-long open house offering behind-the-scenes access for the entire community. Highlights include
• Concert Series - Performed by some of the world's leading chamber musicians, these world-class concerts feature thematically inspired programs.
• Prelude Performances and Koret Young Performers Concerts Ð Free, open to the public, and ideal for family audiences, these concerts feature the talented students of the Chamber Music Institute.
• Encounter Series - A critically acclaimed series of symposia on subjects relating to the Concert Series Programs, Encounters serve to foster a deeper understanding of the music and of contemporary issues in the arts.
• Cafe Conversations - Free and open to the public, these engaging discussion events are led by festival artists and special guests such as Michael Steinberg, whose popular poetry reading workshops have given the emerging young musicians the confidence to speak expressively in public.
• Master Classes - These sessions offer a unique opportunity to observe the learning process between mentors and students of our Chamber Music Institute, with unparalleled free access.
• Open House - This day-long series of events on the beautiful grounds of Menlo School offers visitors a special opportunity to gain behind-the-scenes insights about the festival, the professional artists' rehearsal process, and personal time for questions over coffee with Music@Menlo Artistic Directors David Finckel and Wu Han.
Annual Winter Residency Program at Menlo School
Beyond the festival, each winter, Menlo students have the opportunity to experience exceptional chamber music as part of Music@Menlo's annual Winter Residency Program at Menlo School. The Winter Residency Program brings a select group of the classical music world's rising stars to campus to engage with Menlo School students for a series of enriching programs.The artists work directly with many of Menlo School's esteemed faculty to create lesson plans that integrate the art and history of classical music with students' curriculum in subjects ranging from math and history to studio art and music theory.
For ticket and to learn more about Music@Menlo, please visit http://www.musicatmenlo.org/.