New Middle School Students
Welcome to the Middle School: 2017-2018
We know you have a lot of questions about getting ready for your new school. Rest assured: we’ll make sure your entrance into the Menlo community is as smooth as possible, and that you’ll get all the information you need. You can even use this handy summer checklist—you might want to put it on your refrigerator for easy reference!
You can always type a phrase in the search box at the top of the webpage to find what you need. In the meantime, here are some things you’ll need to do as we head into the summer.
1. Get your class schedule.
- Read this letter from the World Language department, and watch a video about the course offerings.
- Then, complete the World Language preference form with your first and second choices by May 5.
- You will receive your math and language placements in late June.
- Be on the lookout for your class schedule mailed to you in early August.
- Learn about the Middle School’s daily schedule for next year.
3. Review and submit forms for the 6th Grade Outdoor Education Overnight by May 19.
4. Learn about your summer reading, technology needs, and how to order books and supplies.
- Sixth graders will choose two books to read from the Middle School’s sixth-grade reading list. (Transfer students: look through the full summer reading list.)
- Summer books will be available for purchase starting June 1 at MBSDirect.net. Textbooks will be available for purchase starting July 1. (Note: you are not required to purchase from MBS Direct; you can order them from any vendor you prefer.)
- After July 1, you can view the supply list here or visit Keokit (formerly Locker) to order all of the recommended supplies in one simple step.
- Learn about technology and the Middle School iPad program at Menlo.
5. Make sure you submit your immunization record and health information.
- In late May, you’ll get an email from Magnus Health Student Medical Record, our partner in collecting and managing student medical information. Complete the online form with all your medical information, including immunizations (do not send records to Menlo). Please do this before August 1—you can’t come to school without it!
- Before then, get your immunizations (including Tdap boosters) up to date.
6. Be on the lookout for summer emails.
- In June, you’ll get an email newsletter (we call this “zipNotes”) with final information you’ll need for the summer.
- In early August, you’ll get a letter and an email with all the information you’ll need for the start of school. Be sure to read this email!
- To make sure Menlo emails don’t end up in your spam folder, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your list of contacts and/or approved senders.
7. Put some important dates on your calendar.
- Tuesday, Aug. 22, 9:00 am-11:00 am: optional Summer Fun Field Event (students only), hosted by the MSPA, at Cartan Field
- Wednesday, Aug. 23, 9:30 am-12:00 pm: Sixth Grade Orientation
- Thursday, Aug. 24, 8:30 am-3:15 pm: First day of classes
- Thursday, Aug. 24-Friday, Aug. 25: Sixth Grade Outdoor Education Overnight
- Tuesday, Aug. 29, 8:30-10:00 am: Sixth Grade Parent Coffee
- Thursday, Sept. 7, 5:00-7:00 pm: Middle School Back-to-School Night
- Wednesday, Sept. 13, 8:45 am (hospitality at 8:15 am): First Middle School MSPA meeting
- Find next year’s school holidays or view and subscribe to our online calendar to see what’s going on now.
8. Check out transportation options.
- Learn about the Go Menlo program and explore transportation options.
- You’ll be able to see who lives in your neighborhood on a carpool map, available later in the summer.
9. Need help?
Call these people.