New Middle School Students
Welcome to the Middle School: 2021-2022
We know you have a lot of questions about getting ready for your new school. Rest assured: we’ll make sure your entrance into the Menlo community is as smooth as possible, and that you’ll get all the information you need. Here are some things you’ll need to do before school starts in the fall, and if you need more help, you can always type a phrase in the search box at the top of the webpage to find what you need.
1. Getting your class schedule.
- This letter provides detailed information about our world languages program.
- You should have indicated your world language first and second choices on this form by May 12.
- World language placement information was sent by email on June 10.
- Be on the lookout for your class schedule mailed to you in early August.
2. Pick a sport for fall PE
- Review this overview of the Sixth Grade Athletics Program and the Middle School Athletics Q&A, and watch a video about your fall sports options.
- You should have submitted this sport choice form by May 12.
3. Learn about your summer reading, technology needs, and how to order books and supplies.
- Summer reading assignments and teacher instructions are available at Menlo’s Library website here starting May 10. Other information about other texts for fall courses will be available through the Menlo Booklist Generator, which will be available the first week of August when schedules are announced.
- Starting July 5, visit Keokit.com to view the Middle School supply list for the year. You can order everything there, or you can view the list and shop elsewhere.
- By September 9, sixth graders will need an Apple MacBook laptop with MacOS 10.15 (“Catalina”) or newer. We strongly recommend the 13-inch MacBook Air with at least 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage. Learn more about technology in the Middle School.
4. Make sure you submit your immunization record and health information.
- You should receive an email from Magnus Health Student Medical Record, our partner in collecting and managing student medical information, sometime in late May or early June. Complete the online form with your medical information, including immunizations (do not send records to Menlo). Please do this before August 1—you can’t come to school without it! If you do not receive an email from Magnus Health by June 10, please contact Health Coordinator Joan Barada.
- Middle School students DO NOT require a pre-participation annual physical, but you do need to submit their immunization records prior to the start of school.
The Pfizer Covid vaccine has been approved for children ages 12+ and is available locally. Here are some tips from Menlo’s school nurse on getting an appointment: Use My Turn to sign up for an appointment or get notified when more are available. If My Turn appointments aren’t available, use VaccineFinder to search your area. You can also check with your healthcare provider or local pharmacy, such as Walgreens or CVS. Many incoming sixth graders may not be old enough for a shot right now, but if your child is old enough and has completed their vaccine doses, have them log in to their Menlo account once it has been activated and upload a photo of their card here or email it to the school nurse.
5. Keeping Connected and Getting Involved
- Please read this welcome letter and invitation to get involved with the Menlo School Parent Association (MSPA).
- In June, you’ll get an email newsletter (we call this “zipNotes”) with all the information you’ll need for the summer.
- In early August, you’ll get an email with all the information you’ll need for the start of school. Be sure to read this email!
- To make sure Menlo emails don’t end up in your spam folder, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your list of contacts and/or approved senders.
6. Mark your Calendars
(Dates and times are tentative and subject to change)
- Tuesday, Aug. 24, 9:00-11:00 am: Sixth Grade Field Day
- Wednesday, Aug. 25, 9:30 am-12:00 pm: Sixth Grade Orientation
- Thursday, Aug. 26: First Day of Classes
- Thursday, Aug. 26: Sixth Grade Outdoor Education Day Trip (evening return to campus)
- Thursday, Aug. 27: No school for sixth grade class( due to the late evening return from the Outdoor Ed. Trip.)
- Thursday, Aug. 26, 8:30-10:00 am: Sixth Grade Parent Coffee
7. How will you GO MENLO? Check out transportation options.
Menlo plans to resume its bus transportation program this fall. If your child will take the bus, please complete this survey to help us gauge demand. Later in the summer, we’ll post more transportation information, including the bus and shuttle times and a carpool map so you can see who lives in your neighborhood.
8. Looking for some summer fun? Consider Menlo’s athletics summer programs.
Summer Sports Camps @ Menlo: Menlo Athletics is pleased to offer summer sports camps 2021. Choose from half-day, full-day, middle school, upper school, and a variety of sports camps. Register here.
- You can always type a phrase in the search box at the top of the webpage to find what you need.
- You may want to check out these Menlo Terms to Know.
You can also call these people (but keep in mind that most offices on campus close during the month of July for summer vacation).