New Middle School Students
Welcome to the Middle School: 2020-2021
We know you have a lot of questions about getting ready for your new school. Rest assured: we’ll make sure your entrance into the Menlo community is as smooth as possible, and that you’ll get all the information you need.
You can always type a phrase in the search box at the top of the webpage to find what you need. In the meantime, here are some things you’ll need to do before school starts in the fall.
1. Getting your class schedule.
- Read this letter from the World Language department, and watch a video about the course offerings.
- You should have completed the World Language preference form with your first and second choices by May 11.
- You will receive your language placement in late June via email.
- Be on the lookout for your class schedule mailed to you in early August.
2. Pick a sport for fall PE
- Review this overview of the Sixth Grade Athletics Program and the Middle School Athletics Q&A, and watch a video about your fall sports options.
- You should have submitted your sport choice form by June 1.
3. Learn about your summer reading, technology needs, and how to order books and supplies.
- Summer reading assignments and teacher instructions are available at Menlo’s Library website here. Fall materials will be available at Menlo’s new in-house Booklist Generator, which will be available by August 3.
- Starting July 15, visit Keokit.com to view the Middle School supply list for the year. You can order everything there, or you can view the list and shop elsewhere.
- Sixth graders will need a 13” MacBook Air by September 9. Learn more about technology in the Middle School.
4. Make sure you submit your immunization record and health information.
- You should already have received an email from Magnus Health Student Medical Record, our partner in collecting and managing student medical information. Complete the online form with your medical information, including immunizations (do not send records to Menlo). Please do this before August 1—you can’t come to school without it! If you didn’t receive an email from Magnus, please contact Health Coordinator Joan Barada.
- Before then, get your immunizations (including Tdap boosters) up to date.
- Middle School students do not need a physician’s physical prior to participating in PE, but they do need to submit their immunization records (as above).
5. Be on the lookout for summer emails.
- In June, you’ll get an email newsletter (we call this “zipNotes”) with all the information you’ll need for the summer.
- In early August, you’ll get an email with all the information you’ll need for the start of school. Be sure to read this email!
- To make sure Menlo emails don’t end up in your spam folder, add email@example.com to your list of contacts and/or approved senders.