New Middle School Students
Welcome to the Middle School: 2019-2020
We know you have a lot of questions about getting ready for your new school. Rest assured: we’ll make sure your entrance into the Menlo community is as smooth as possible, and that you’ll get all the information you need.
You can always type a phrase in the search box at the top of the webpage to find what you need. In the meantime, here are some things you’ll need to do before school starts in the fall.
1. Getting your class schedule.
- Read this letter from the World Language department, and watch a video about the course offerings.
- Then, complete the World Language preference form with your first and second choices by May 13.
- You will receive your language placement in late June via email.
- Be on the lookout for your class schedule mailed to you in early August.
- Learn about the Middle School’s daily schedule for next year.
2. Pick a sport for fall PE
- Review this overview of the Sixth Grade Athletics Program and the Middle School Athletics Q&A.
- Submit your sport choice form by May 13.
3. Turn in forms for the 6th Grade Outdoor Education Overnight by May 17.
4. Learn about your summer reading, technology needs, and how to order books and supplies.
- View the sixth grade summer reading assignment, which students should complete by the first day of classes.
- Summer books will be available for purchase starting June 1 at MBSDirect.net. Textbooks will be available for purchase starting July 1. (Note: you are not required to purchase from MBS Direct; you can order them from any vendor you prefer.)
- Starting July 1, visit Keokit.com to view the Middle School supply list for the year. You can order everything there, or you can view the list and shop elsewhere.
- Sixth graders will need a 13” MacBook Air by September 9. Learn more about technology in the Middle School.
5. Make sure you submit your immunization record and health information.
- In late May, you’ll get an email from Magnus Health Student Medical Record, our partner in collecting and managing student medical information. Complete the online form with your medical information, including immunizations (do not send records to Menlo). Please do this before August 1—you can’t come to school without it!
- Before then, get your immunizations (including Tdap boosters) up to date.
6. Be on the lookout for summer emails.
- In June, you’ll get an email newsletter (we call this “zipNotes”) with all the information you’ll need for the summer.
- In early August, you’ll get an email with all the information you’ll need for the start of school. Be sure to read this email!
- To make sure Menlo emails don’t end up in your spam folder, add email@example.com to your list of contacts and/or approved senders.
7. Put some important dates on your calendar.
- Tuesday, Aug. 20, 9:00 am-11:00 am: optional Summer Fun Field Event (students only) at Cartan Field, hosted by the MSPA.
- Wednesday, Aug. 21, 9:30 am-12:00 pm: Sixth Grade Orientation
- Thursday, Aug. 22, 8:30 am-3:15 pm: First day of Classes
- Thursday, Aug. 22 - Friday, Aug. 23: Sixth Grade Outdoor Education Overnight
- Friday, Aug. 30, 8:30-10:00 am: Sixth Grade Parent Coffee
- Tuesday, Sept. 3, 8:45 am (hospitality at 8:15 am): First Middle School MSPA meeting
- Thursday, Sept. 5, 5:00-7:00 pm: Middle School Back-to-School Night
- View next year’s school holidays, and in early July, subscribe to next year’s online calendar to keep up to date.
8. Check out transportation options.
- Learn about the Go Menlo program and explore transportation options.
- You’ll be able to see who lives in your neighborhood on a carpool map, available later in the summer.
9. Looking for some summer opportunities? Consider Menlo’s arts and athletics summer programs.
- Summer Art @ Menlo 2019 - Monday, June 17 - Friday, June 21, 2019. For Summer Art 2019, we are pleased to offer two creative and engaging courses: Art Atelier in Traditional and Digital Media and Stop Motion Animation Production. No art experience necessary. Details and online registration here.
Summer Sports Camps @ Menlo - Menlo Athletics is pleased to offer summer sports camps 2019. Choose from half-day, full-day, middle school, upper school, and a variety of sports camps. Register here.