New Middle School Students
Welcome to the Middle School: 2018-2019
We know you have a lot of questions about getting ready for your new school. Rest assured: we’ll make sure your entrance into the Menlo community is as smooth as possible, and that you’ll get all the information you need.
You can always type a phrase in the search box at the top of the webpage to find what you need. In the meantime, here are some things you’ll need to do as we head into the summer.
1. Getting your class schedule.
- Read this letter from the World Language department, and watch a video about the course offerings.
- Then, complete the World Language preference form with your first and second choices by May 11.
- You will receive your language placement in late June via email.
- Be on the lookout for your class schedule mailed to you in early August.
- Read this letter, which includes an FAQ, about our Sixth Grade Math program.
- Learn about the Middle School’s daily schedule for next year.
2. Pick a sport for fall PE
3. Turn in forms for the 6th Grade Outdoor Education Overnight by May 18.
4. Learn about your summer reading, technology needs, and how to order books and supplies.
- Check out the sixth grade summer reading assignment; students should choose two books to read before the first day of classes.
- Summer books will be available for purchase starting June 1 at MBSDirect.net. Textbooks will be available for purchase starting July 1. (Note: you are not required to purchase from MBS Direct; you can order them from any vendor you prefer.)
- Visit Keokit.com to view the Middle School supply list for the year. You can order everything there, or you can view the list and shop elsewhere.
- Sixth graders will need a 13” MacBook Air in October. Learn more about technology in the Middle School.
5. Make sure you submit your immunization record and health information.
- In late May, you’ll get an email from Magnus Health Student Medical Record, our partner in collecting and managing student medical information. Complete the online form with your medical information, including immunizations (do not send records to Menlo). Please do this before August 1—you can’t come to school without it!
- Before then, get your immunizations (including Tdap boosters) up to date.
6. Be on the lookout for summer emails.
- In June, you’ll get an email newsletter (we call this “zipNotes”) with all the information you’ll need for the summer.
- In early August, you’ll get a letter and an email with all the information you’ll need for the start of school. Be sure to read this email!
- To make sure Menlo emails don’t end up in your spam folder, add email@example.com to your list of contacts and/or approved senders.
7. Put some important dates on your calendar.
- Tuesday, Aug. 21, 9:00 am-11:00 am: optional Summer Fun Field Event (students only) at Cartan Field, hosted by the MSPA.
- Wednesday, Aug. 22, 9:30 am-12:00 pm: Sixth Grade Orientation
- Thursday, Aug. 23, 8:30 am-3:15 pm: First day of classes
- Thursday, Aug. 23 - Friday, Aug. 24: Sixth Grade Outdoor Education Overnight
- Tuesday, Aug. 28, 8:30-10:00 am: Sixth Grade Parent Coffee
- Thursday, Sept. 6, 5:00-7:00 pm: Middle School Back-to-School Night
- Wednesday, Sept. 12, 8:45 am (hospitality at 8:15 am): First Middle School MSPA meeting
- Find next year’s school holidays or view and subscribe to our online calendar to see what’s going on now.
8. Check out transportation options.
- Learn about the Go Menlo program and explore transportation options.
- You’ll be able to see who lives in your neighborhood on a carpool map, available later in the summer.
9. Looking for some summer opportunities? Consider Menlo’s arts and athletics summer programs, and the Kick Start program
- KickStart @ Menlo - Monday, Jul. 30-Friday, Aug. 10. Kickstart is a two-week program that introduces students to the academic expectations and general culture of the Middle School. The program will cover academic challenges, an introduction to the routines and expectations of a successful Menlo student, and provide the opportunity to meet some fellow students and faculty members before school begins. Deadline to register is Friday, May 18. Details and registration information here.
- Summer Art @ Menlo 2018 - Monday, Jun. 18-Friday, Jun. 22. Join art teacher Nina Ollikainen with guest faculty Jeremy Sutton and Peggy Gyulai for a summer art workshop exploring traditional and digital media. For students in grades 6-12, the workshop meets on campus each day from 9:00 am-3:00 pm. Cost: $350, including materials. No art experience necessary. Details and online registration here.
Summer Sports Camps @ Menlo - Menlo Athletics is pleased to offer summer sports camps 2018. Choose from half-day, full-day, middle school, upper school, and a variety of sports camps. Register here.