New Upper School Students
Welcome to Menlo: 2021-2022
We know you have a lot of questions about getting ready for high school. Rest assured: we’ll make sure your entrance into the Menlo Upper School community goes as smoothly as possible and that you’ll get all the information you need. Here are some things you’ll need to do before school starts in the fall, and if you need more help, you can always type a phrase in the search box at the top of the webpage to find what you need.
1. Sign up for classes and activities and be on the lookout for your class schedule.
- Incoming 9th graders need to complete this form by May 17 to indicate their choices for their semester-long Freshman Arts Experience (FAX), and those who plan to take an elective course for their seventh period should also indicate their elective preferences.
- Results from your Math and World Language placement tests will be sent the second week of June. If you don’t receive this email, contact the Registrar, Dr. Julie Hammack.
- Learn about math placement.
- Check out this welcome from Athletics at Menlo, sign up for sports if you haven’t already.
- Look for your class schedule in early August.
2. Complete your summer reading assignments.
- Freshman summer reading assignments and instructions are listed on the library website. (Tip: When purchasing books for Upper School English classes, keep in mind that teachers require print books (no ebooks). Please purchase the specific edition indicated by the ISBN, as assignments may refer to the page numbers in that edition.)
3. Learn about your technology needs, how to order books, and the necessary supplies.
- For fall courses, you will receive your schedule and a link to the Menlo Booklist Generator in early August. Enter your courses into the Booklist Generator, and it will provide a list of your required texts with their International Standard Book Numbers (ISBNs). You can purchase books from any vendor you prefer as long as you purchase the correct ISBN edition.
- In the Upper School, all students will need to bring a laptop to school each day. Get some gadget advice and learn about technology at Menlo.
- And, in case you’re wondering what Upper School students will need for the first day, in addition to their fully-charged laptop, students should bring a binder or notebook, assigned summer work, and a pencil or pen. There isn’t a master list of required supplies for Upper School students as each student’s needs will depend on their courses. Teachers will let students know what supplies will be needed for each class.
4. Make sure you submit your immunization record and your health information.
- You should receive an email from Magnus Health Student Medical Record, our partner in collecting and managing student medical information, sometime in late May or early June. Complete the online form with your medical information, including immunizations (do not send records to Menlo). Please do this before August 1—you can’t come to school without it! If you do not receive an email from Magnus Health by June 10, please contact Health Coordinator Joan Barada.
- Upper School students who are planning on participating in Athletics require a pre-participation annual physical, dated after June 1. The blank form for an athletic physical will be in the student’s Magnus Health account.
5. Keeping Connected and Getting Involved
- Please read this welcome letter and invitation to get involved with the Menlo School Parent Association (MSPA).
- In June, you’ll get an email newsletter (which we call “eNotes”) that includes any other information you’ll need for the summer.
- In early August, you’ll get an email with all the information you’ll need for the start of school. Be sure to read this email!
- To make sure Menlo emails don’t end up in your spam folder, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your list of contacts and/or approved senders.
6. Mark your Calendars
(Dates are tentative and subject to change)
- Tuesday, Aug. 24, 4:00 pm-5:30 pm: Freshman Meet and Greet
- Wednesday, Aug. 25, 9:00 am-2:00 pm: Freshman Orientation for students
- Friday, Aug. 27, 8:30-10:00 am: Ninth Grade Parent Coffee
- Thursday, Aug 26: First Day of School, 8:50 am
- Friday, Aug. 27, 8:00-10:30 pm: Back-to-School Dance
7. How will you GO MENLO? Check out transportation options.
Menlo plans to resume its bus transportation program this fall. If your child will take the bus, please complete this survey to help us gauge demand. Later in the summer, we’ll post more transportation information, including the bus and shuttle times and a carpool map so you can see who lives in your neighborhood.
8. Looking for some summer fun? Consider Menlo’s athletics summer programs.
Summer Sports Camps @ Menlo: Menlo Athletics is pleased to offer summer sports camps 2021. Choose from half-day, full-day, middle school, upper school, and a variety of sports camps. Register here.