New Upper School Students
Welcome to Menlo: 2018-2019
We know you have a lot of questions about getting ready for your new school. Rest assured: we’ll make sure your entrance into the Menlo community is as smooth as possible and that you’ll get all the information you need. Here are some things you’ll need to know and do as we head into the summer.
1. Sign up for classes and activities and be on the lookout for your class schedule.
- Results from your Math and World Language placement test are sent in early summer.
- Students who wish to take an elective course should submit the Freshman Electives Form by May 18. (For students enrolled after that date, a form will be emailed to you as part of the enrollment process.)
- Learn about math placement.
- Check out this welcome from Athletics at Menlo and sign up for sports.
- Interested finding out about our Kickstart program? Please email Kathryn Gray for more information.
- Look for your class schedule the first week of August.
- Get familiar with the Upper School’s daily block schedule for next year.
2. Complete your summer reading assignments.
- Over the summer, freshmen need to do this summer English assignment, which includes reading two texts: the science fiction novel Kindred by Octavia Butler and J.D. Salinger’s classic coming-of-age novel The Catcher in the Rye.
- Students should also complete this assignment for Modern World History as well as this summer worksheet for Physics.
- Transfer students can check out the full Upper School summer reading information starting June 1.
3. Learn about your technology needs, how to order books, and the necessary supplies.
- View Menlo’s MBSDirect.net webpage to see what books you’ll need for summer reading and your courses. Summer books will be available for purchase starting June 1, and once you get your schedule during the first week of August, you can view the fall/spring book list (with ISBN number) to determine which books you’ll need. (Note: you are not required to purchase from MBS Direct; you can order them from any vendor you prefer.)
- In the Upper School, all students will need to bring a laptop. Get some gadget advice and learn about technology at Menlo.
- And, in case you’re wondering what Upper School students will need for the first day, in addition to their fully-charged laptop, students should bring a binder or notebook, assigned summer work, and a pencil or pen. There isn’t a master list of required supplies for Upper School students as each student’s needs will depend on their courses. Teachers will let students know the what supplies will be needed for each class.
4. Make sure you submit your immunization record and your health information.
- In mid-May, you’ll get an email from Magnus Health Student Medical Record, our partner in collecting and managing student medical information. Fill out their online form with all your medical information, including immunizations (do not send records to Menlo). Please do this before July 15—you can’t come to school without it!
- Before then, get your immunizations (including Tdap boosters) up to date.
- Athletes: If you want to play sports, you’ll need a physician’s physical and physician-signed physical report (which you’ll get from Magnus). But don’t get your physical until AFTER June 1! Once done, you can submit the report through Magnus.
5. Be on the lookout for important summer emails.
- In June, you’ll get an email newsletter (which we call “eNotes”) that includes the final information you’ll need for the summer.
- In early August, you’ll get a letter and an email with all the information you’ll need for the start of school. Be sure to read this email!
- To make sure Menlo emails don’t end up in your spam folder, add email@example.com to your list of contacts and/or approved senders.
6. Put some important dates on your calendar.
- Tuesday, Aug. 21, 4:00 pm-5:30 pm: Freshman Meet and Greet
- Wednesday, Aug. 22, 8:30 am-2:00 pm: Freshman Orientation for students
- Thursday, Aug 23: First Day of School
- Wednesday, Aug. 29, 8:45 am (hospitality at 8:15 am): First Upper School MSPA meeting
- Thursday, Aug. 30, 6:00-7:30 pm: Ninth Grade Parent Education Night
- Saturday, Sept. 8, 8:00-11:00 pm: Back-to-School Dance
- Thursday, Sept. 13, 6:00-8:00 pm: Upper School Back-to-School Night
- Friday, Sept. 21, 6:00-9:00 pm: Ninth Grade Parent Social
- Friday, Sept. 21, 6:00 pm: Freshman Overnight (on campus)
- Find next year’s school holidays or view and subscribe to our online calendar to see what’s going on now.
- Sign up (starting Aug. 1) for a Freshman Menlo Parent Group.
7. Check out transportation options.
- Learn about the Go Menlo program and explore transportation options.
- You’ll be able to see who lives in your neighborhood on a carpool map, available later in the summer.
8. Looking for some summer fun? Consider Menlo’s arts and athletics summer programs:
- Summer Art @ Menlo 2018 - Monday, Jun. 18-Friday, Jun. 22. Join art teacher Nina Ollikainen with guest faculty Jeremy Sutton and Peggy Gyulai for a summer art workshop exploring traditional and digital media. For students in grades 6-12, the workshop meets on campus each day from 9:00 am-3:00 pm. Cost: $350, including materials. No art experience necessary. Details and online registration here.
Summer Sports Camps @ Menlo - Menlo Athletics is pleased to offer summer sports camps 2018. Choose from half-day, full-day, middle school, upper school, and a variety of sports camps. Register here.