New Upper School Students
Welcome to Menlo: 2019-2020
We know you have a lot of questions about getting ready for your new school. Rest assured: we’ll make sure your entrance into the Menlo community is as smooth as possible and that you’ll get all the information you need. Here are some things you’ll need to know and do before schools starts in the fall.
1. Sign up for classes and activities and be on the lookout for your class schedule.
- Results from your Math and World Language placement test are sent in early summer.
- Students who wish to take an elective course should submit the Freshman Electives Form by May 18.
- Learn about math placement.
- Check out this welcome from Athletics at Menlo and sign up for sports.
- Look for your class schedule the first week of August.
- Get familiar with the Upper School’s daily block schedule for next year.
2. Complete your summer reading assignments.
- Students will need to complete this summer reading assignment for English as well as this assignment for Modern World History and this summer worksheet for Physics.
- Transfer students can check out the full Upper School summer reading information here starting June 15.
3. Learn about your technology needs, how to order books, and the necessary supplies.
- View Menlo’s MBSDirect.net webpage to see what books you’ll need for your courses. Once you get your schedule during the first week of August, you can view the book list (with ISBN number) to determine which books you’ll need for all of your courses (except Upper School English, for which you’ll get the syllabus and book list on the first day of school). Note: you are not required to purchase from MBS Direct; you can order them from any vendor you prefer.
- In the Upper School, all students will need to bring a laptop. Get some gadget advice and learn about technology at Menlo.
- And, in case you’re wondering what Upper School students will need for the first day, in addition to their fully-charged laptop, students should bring a binder or notebook, assigned summer work, and a pencil or pen. There isn’t a master list of required supplies for Upper School students as each student’s needs will depend on their courses. Teachers will let students know what supplies will be needed for each class.
4. Make sure you submit your immunization record and your health information.
- In mid-May, you’ll get an email from Magnus Health Student Medical Record, our partner in collecting and managing student medical information. Fill out their online form with all your medical information, including immunizations (do not send records to Menlo). Please do this before August 1—you can’t come to school without it!
- Before then, get your immunizations (including Tdap boosters) up to date.
- Athletes: If you want to play sports, you’ll need a physician’s physical and physician-signed physical report (which you’ll get from Magnus). But don’t get your physical until AFTER June 1! Once done, you can submit the report through Magnus.
5. Be on the lookout for important summer emails.
- In June, you’ll get an email newsletter (which we call “eNotes”) that includes the final information you’ll need for the summer.
- In early August, you’ll get an email with all the information you’ll need for the start of school. Be sure to read this email!
- To make sure Menlo emails don’t end up in your spam folder, add email@example.com to your list of contacts and/or approved senders.
6. Put some important dates on your calendar.
- Tuesday, Aug. 20, 4:00 pm-5:30 pm: Freshman Meet and Greet
- Wednesday, Aug. 21, 8:30 am-2:00 pm: Freshman Orientation for students
- Wednesday, Aug. 21, 8:30-10:00 am: Ninth Grade Parent Coffee
- Thursday, Aug 22: First Day of School
- Friday, Aug. 23, 8:00-10:30 pm: Back-to-School Dance
- Wednesday, Aug. 28, 8:45 am (hospitality at 8:15 am): First Upper School MSPA meeting
- Thursday, Aug. 29, 6:00-7:30 pm: Ninth Grade Parent Education Night
- Thursday, Sept. 12, 6:00-8:00 pm: Upper School Back-to-School Night
- Friday, Sept. 13, 6:00-9:00 pm: Ninth Grade Parent Social
- Friday, Sept. 13, 6:00 pm: Freshman Overnight (on campus)
- Find next year’s school holidays, and in early July, subscribe to next year’s online calendar to keep up to date.
- Sign up (starting Aug. 1) for a Freshman Menlo Parent Group.
7. Check out transportation options.
- Learn about the Go Menlo program and explore transportation options.
- You’ll be able to see who lives in your neighborhood on a carpool map, available later in the summer.
8. Looking for some summer fun? Consider Menlo’s arts and athletics summer programs:
- Summer Art @ Menlo 2019: Monday, June 17 - Friday, June 21, 2019. For Summer Art 2019, we are pleased to offer two creative and engaging courses: Art Atelier in Traditional and Digital Media and Stop Motion Animation Production. No art experience necessary. Details and online registration here.
Summer Sports Camps @ Menlo: Menlo Athletics is pleased to offer summer sports camps 2019. Choose from half-day, full-day, middle school, upper school, and a variety of sports camps. Register here.