New Upper School Students
Welcome to Menlo: 2017-2018
We know you have a lot of questions about getting ready for your new school. Rest assured: we’ll make sure your entrance into the Menlo community is as smooth as possible and that you’ll get all the information you need. You can even use this handy summer checklist—you might want to put it on your refrigerator for easy reference!
You can always type a phrase in the search box at the top of the webpage to find what you need. In the meantime, here are some things you’ll need to know and do as we head into the summer.
1. Sign up for classes and activities, and be on the lookout for your class schedule.
- Results from your Math and World Language placement test are sent in early summer.
- Students who wish to take an elective course should have submitted the Freshman Electives Form by May 15. (For students enrolled after that date, a form will be emailed to you as part of the enrollment process.) Learn more about courses and placement.
- Learn about math placement.
- Check out this welcome from Athletics at Menlo and sign up for sports.
- Learn about the Upper School’s daily schedule.
- Look for your class schedule the first week of August.
2. Learn about your summer reading assignments, technology needs, and how to order books.
- Over the summer, freshmen will need to read the following two texts for English and follow these guidelines from your teacher.
— Octavia Butler’s science fiction novel Kindred (ISBN 9780807083697, Amazon, iBook, or MBSDirect)
— Paulo Coehlo’s allegorical novel The Alchemist (ISBN 9780062315007, Amazon, iBook, or MBSDirect)
- In preparation for your Modern World History course, please do this summer assignment.
- For ninth grade Physics, complete this summer worksheet.
- Transfer students can check out the full Upper School summer reading information starting June 1.
- View Menlo’s MBSDirect.net webpage to see what books you’ll need for summer reading and your courses. Summer books will be available for purchase starting June 1, and once you get your schedule during the first week of August, you can view the fall/spring book list (with ISBN number) to determine which books you’ll need. (Note: you are not required to purchase from MBS Direct; you can order them from any vendor you prefer.)
- In the Upper School, all students will need to bring a laptop. Get some gadget advice and learn about technology at Menlo.
3. Make sure you submit your immunization record and your health information.
- In mid-May, you’ll get an email from Magnus Health Student Medical Record, our partner in collecting and managing student medical information. Fill out their online form with all your medical information, including immunizations (do not send records to Menlo). Please do this before August 1—you can’t come to school without it!
- Before then, get your immunizations (including Tdap boosters) up to date.
- Athletes: If you want to play sports, you’ll need a physician’s physical and physician-signed physical report (which you’ll get from Magnus). But don’t get your physical until AFTER June 1! Once done, you can submit the report through Magnus.
5. Be on the lookout for important summer emails.
- In June, you’ll get an email newsletter (which we call “eNotes”) that includes the final information you’ll need for the summer.
- In early August, you’ll get a letter and an email with all the information you’ll need for the start of school. Be sure to read this email!
- To make sure Menlo emails don’t end up in your spam folder, add email@example.com to your list of contacts and/or approved senders.
6. Put some important dates on your calendar.
- Tuesday, Aug. 22, 4:00 pm-5:30 pm: Freshman Meet and Greet
- Wednesday, Aug. 23, 8:30 am-2:00 pm: Freshman Orientation for students
- Thursday, Aug 24: First Day of School
- Wednesday, Aug. 30, 8:45 am (hospitality at 8:15 am): First Upper School MSPA meeting
Thursday, Aug. 31, 6:00-7:30 pm: Ninth Grade Parent Education Night
- Saturday, Sept. 9, 8:00-11:00 pm: Back-to-School Dance
- Thursday, Sept. 14, 6:00-8:00 pm: Upper School Back-to-School Night
- Friday, Sept. 22, 6:00-9:00 pm: Ninth Grade Parent Social
- Find next year’s school holidays or view and subscribe to our online calendar to see what’s going on now.
7. Check out transportation options.
- Learn about the Go Menlo program and explore transportation options.
- You’ll be able to see who lives in your neighborhood on a carpool map, available later in the summer.
8. Need help?