New Upper School Students
Welcome to Menlo: 2020-2021
We know you have a lot of questions about getting ready for high school. Rest assured: we’ll make sure your entrance into the Menlo Upper School community goes as smoothly as possible and that you’ll get all the information you need. Here are some things you’ll need to know and do before school starts in the fall.
1. Sign up for classes and activities and be on the lookout for your class schedule.
- Results from your Math and World Language placement tests were sent in the second week of June. If you didn’t receive this email, contact the Registrar.
- Students who wish to take an elective course should have submitted the Freshman Electives Form.
- Learn about math placement.
- Check out this welcome from Athletics at Menlo, sign up for sports if you haven’t already, and meet your coaches in this short video.
- Look for your class schedule in early August.
2. Complete your summer reading assignments.
- Summer reading assignments and instructions are available on the library website.
- When purchasing books for upper school English classes, be aware that teachers require print books (no ebooks). Please purchase the specific edition indicated by the ISBN, as assignments will refer to the page numbers in that edition.
3. Learn about your technology needs, how to order books, and the necessary supplies.
- For fall courses, a new in-house Booklist Generator will be used, rather than MBS Direct as in previous years. A link to this Booklist website will be available by August 3. Once you get your schedule, you can view the book list with International Standard Book Numbers (ISBNs). These important ISBNs will ensure that you purchase the correct editions.
- In the Upper School, all students will need to bring a laptop. Get some gadget advice and learn about technology at Menlo.
- And, in case you’re wondering what Upper School students will need for the first day, in addition to their fully-charged laptop, students should bring a binder or notebook, assigned summer work, and a pencil or pen. There isn’t a master list of required supplies for Upper School students, as each student’s needs will depend on their courses. Teachers will let students know what supplies will be needed for each class.
4. Make sure you submit your immunization record and your health information.
- You should already have received an email from Magnus Health Student Medical Record, our partner in collecting and managing student medical information. Fill out their online form with all your medical information, including immunizations (do not send records to Menlo). Please do this before August 1—you can’t come to school without it! If you didn’t receive this email, please contact Health Coordinator Joan Barada.
- Before then, get your immunizations (including Tdap boosters) up-to-date.
- Athletes: If you want to play sports, you’ll need a physician’s physical and physician-signed physical report (which you’ll get from Magnus). But don’t get your physical until AFTER June 1! Once done, you can submit the report through Magnus. If you have questions regarding any Athletic Form, please contact Aubrey Fennell or Stephanie Swan.
5. Be on the lookout for important summer emails.
- In June, you’ll get an email newsletter (which we call “eNotes”) that includes the final information you’ll need for the summer.
- In early August, you’ll get an email with all the information you’ll need for the start of school. Be sure to read this email!
- To make sure Menlo emails don’t end up in your spam folder, add email@example.com to your list of contacts and/or approved senders.