It’s about Time! Menlo’s daily schedules are designed to offer more sleep, greater balance, and a slower daily pace.
For the 2021-2022 school year, both the Middle and Upper School plan to return to seven-day rotating block schedules (with a few tweaks). These schedules are designed to enrich the student experience by giving students and teachers time to cultivate stronger relationships with one another and allow for deeper dives into the curriculum with extended class periods. Here are some features of our schedules in each division:
- A later start time (8:35 am) helps our students get more sleep.
- A rotating schedule benefits students by having classes at different times during the seven-day block rotation.
- Instructional time has been lengthened to 65 minutes to create opportunities for deeper dives into the curriculum and opportunities for more project-based learning. It also reduces the number of transitions students experience in a day, helping to slow the pace down a bit.
- A 40-minute lunch break.
- More tutorial time for students to reach out to their teachers and get the individual support they need.
- Students will be dismissed at 3:20 pm, except on Day 1s, when they are dismissed early at 2:50 pm.
- View the 2022-2023 Middle School schedule.
- A later start time (8:45 am) helps our students get more sleep.
- Four class meetings per day allow students to prepare for fewer classes each day and be pulled in fewer directions.
- Instructional time is lengthened to 70 minutes per class to create opportunities for deeper dives into the curriculum and slow the pace by reducing the number of transitions students experience in a day.
- More tutorial time and increased teacher office hours for students to reach out to their teachers and get the individual support they need.
- A 40-minute lunch break accommodates time for clubs, meetings, and community building.
- Flexibility to run special schedules that allow for more guest speakers and special assemblies.
- School ends at 3:00 pm.
- View the 2022-2023 Upper School schedule.