We are living through history, and they say journalism is the first draft of history writing. So we’ll try to understand the period we are living through – the pandemic, political ferment and polarization, racial reckoning, etc – as first-draft historians. Most of the readings will be from newspapers and periodicals, and we will listen to podcasts and TV news segments. The course will end with a research project of the student’s choosing. The main goals in this class are to:
- Help make you deeply knowledgeable about the topics we cover in class – and you will have a large say in the topics we cover
- Get you to engage with different perspectives both in the readings and in discussions
- Guide you through a major research project.
- Help you become a more confident, cogent, and concise writer
- Offer you a highly relevant learning experience
Instructor: Mr. Schafer
Honors option available to juniors and seniors.
Prerequisites: Open to seniors and juniors, and sophomores if space is available.